Thursday, September 19, 2013

Executive Director’s Message: UAPA Newsletter September 2013

I was reminded of the importance of a good road the other day as I took advantage of Utah’s newly expanded 80 MPH speed limit zones on a trip down to St. George to visit with a member of the Utah Asphalt Pavement Association (UAPA).  Because I had a lot of time to think (I forgot the cord that connects my iPhone to the car’s stereo), I spent a good portion of the drive actually paying attention to the surface and condition of the road I was driving on.  Now this group is a little different, but that is an exercise that most of us probably never do, at least not on a regular basis!
As I pulled into my driveway that night, it was not the great-performing asphalt pavements that I saw that impressed me most (although there are a number of great sections of asphalt-paved roads between here and St. George!).  Rather, it was the impression of just how important our roads our to the lifeblood of our state, its economy, and its people.  In the simplest of terms, our roads make our life go.

And although that may be a very simple statement, it comes with a great deal of responsibility to ensure that we are doing our absolute best to design, engineer, produce, construct, and preserve roads that will perform and exceed our expectations.  As an association, this is what UAPA strives for each and every day.  We do this through small things such as making sure you receive the latest communications and updates through a newsletter, and we do it through large and monumental undertakings such as adopting new and proven technologies and specifications in the field.

I am drawn to this industry because it continually asks how it can become even better.  And I know that I am not alone in this sentiment.  That’s why in the coming months and years, you will see UAPA undertake this very question time and time again.  We are off to a good start with our revamped newsletter that you see here, but collectively we can do so much more.  Soon you will see an Industry Improvement Survey.  I hope you will take the time to give us some feedback so we can continue to grow as an association.  I hope you will continue to support our Lunch and Learn events throughout the rest of the year.  I hope that we will see you again at the 2014 Utah Asphalt Conference. 

More good things are coming for UAPA, but it does not happen without you.  The support of those who have already joined us has been invaluable.  If you have yet to join UAPA, the time is now.  Together, I know that we will continue to build some of the best roads in the entire nation.  Why else would the legislature let us go 80 MPH?
                                                                        -Reed Ryan
                                                                        Executive Director

                                                                        The Utah Asphalt Pavement Association         

No comments:

Post a Comment